Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Cracksman

So I'm a sucker for a heist movie, but since the hero was Charlie Drake I kinda knew what I was letting myself in for.  Charlie Drake is one of the legendary comics of the 60's, and this film met every expectation as such, heavy handed farce with an everyday working man becoming first an unwitting master thief and a then an unwitting hero, and he got the girl.

Being a Saint fan I wanted to see what an aging George Sanders was up to, and having enjoyed The Protectors, I wanted to see what a young Nyree Dawn Porter was like, and as I said, a heist.

You have to be ready for this vintage of comedy, loud and brash, like a Norman Wisdom or George Formby film.  The writing was pretty good, able to reach all ages, from kids with slapstick, and some delicate double entendres for us old uns.  Throw in some dancing girls, fisticuffs and social commentary and you have a well rounded, if old fashioned film.

Oh, and look out for a young Ronnie Barker too.

No comments:

Post a Comment