Sunday, April 10, 2022

The French Dispatch

After seeing Clooney and Swinton in Michael Clayton yesterday,  I decided today I'd watch them in something else (I've recently seen Hail Ceasar, and was thinking Burn After Reading), but I spotted Swinton was in the new Wes Anderson.   Having recently had my third viewing of Grand Budapest Hotel, I figured I'd enjoy this one. 

Oh my goodness,  did I ever make the right move.   A few great laugh out loud scenes. But fantastic stories.  It's an anthology movie, each chapter another article from the magazine "The French Dispatch".  The visuals are just stunning, the humour is quirky and fun. The cast is great.

Not afraid to step into animation when needed. The sets move in and out of the wings like in a lavish stage play.  The 1.33:1 aspect ratio frees up space in screen for visuals outside the main narrative. The use of colour,  when used,  is delightful,  and the use of monochrome keeps the visuals clean and moody required.

I wish is bought,  not rented it as there's too much to get it all in the first half dozen viewings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment